The Master Baker’s Association was founded in 1891 and
consolidated in 1901 to form the Bread Manufacturers Association
of Queensland Union of Employers.
The Pastrycooks Association of Queensland was started separately
in 1947 and continued until 1992 when a new structure was put
in place to join the bread manufacturers and pastrycooks together.
The National Baking Industry Assocation (NBIA) was thus founded
and now in 2010, the NBIA has gone from strength to strength with
the direction of strong and diverse board and a team of expert
History of the 'Bread House'
To many people travelling along picturesque Gregory Terrace in
Brisbane, directly opposite the historic Brisbane Girls Grammar
School a source of amazement to them is the building ‘Bread
How it got there and what is it all about? Is there any history
Our short story will tell a little of Bread House, the dreamers
who were there at its inception and the grand legacy given to
todays bread bakers who have the duty to reflect on their good
fortune in having such a wonderful asset literally handed down
to them for preservation of the past.
It is now more than fifty years since progressive and determined
thought resulted in the building of Bread House on Gregory Terrace
but, hold on, it was not the first Bread House in Queensland.
Reinforcing their proud philosophy of independence, the first
Bread House was at 426 Queen Street, Brisbane in the main street
of the capital city no less, and directly opposite an architectural
masterpiece, the dome chapel Custom House.
The acquisition of this original Bread House was due to the terrific
imagination and energy of Mr A. A. (Buller) Dome who was instrumental
in leading the charge in the bread industry to have its own premises.
Presidents who reigned there included Mr D.B. (Doug) Nunn
of Sunnybank, Mr T.B. (Tom) Condie of Gympie and Mr J.J. (Jack)
Sheeran of Taringa, whilst secretaries who ruled there were Mr
E.W. (Eddie) Heindorff, Mr K.M. (Ken) Shaw, Mr D.C. (Doug) Black
and Mr M.R. Maurie Hutchinson.
426 Queen Street, Brisbane was blessed with a good street frontage
and excellent parking via a lane at the rear. This was all very
good until the big car era when members would arrive in their
Chev Corvettes, Twin Spinner Fords, Dodges, De Sotos and Studebakers.
The rear parking became chaotic. It was decided that the industry
should move onto bigger and better premises with adequate parking.
The industry was one of only two employer organisations owning
their premises and it was decided that this ideal be perpetuated
and the search would be on for another location.
The home was sold and the association moved to Fortitude Valley
to a property jointly shared with the Meat and Allied Trade Federation.
Phew. The butchers and the bakers under one roof!!
Mr Jack Sheeran was President and the property search commenced.
Naturally a committee was formed and with great fortune, Mr Brad
Dance, (Buller’s son) became a member. Brad was a big man,
big in physical size and big in ideas, particularly in having
them carried out.
Brad was not unlike a lot of his fellow competitors of this period,
just to mention a couple, Mr Sid Oswald and Mr Vic Fisher, tough
as nails, gentle and kind as lambs with limited Education but
with loads and loads of energy and ability in many fields.
These were the golden days of the bread industry in Queensland
With his wonderful contacts, Bruce was offered the present site
with two very large wooden homes thereupon and whacko a rear entrance
to Boundary Street. (Some time later a further adjoining property
in Boundary Street was acquired).
After the removal of the two homes and a clean up of the site,
the association decided that we should have a building stone erected
in the site – of course to have a swish party in this occasion
was taken for granted. The secretary made the bold suggestion
and was promptly informed that he in fact should get the Governor.
Sir Henry Able Smith very kindly accepted the invitation and
before a huge afternoon gathering of bread industry people, their
wives and family members including the infant daughter of the
president and the infant son of the secretary, the stone was unveiled.
Very ample refreshment was available marquee style and well into
the afternoon the Governors aide-de-camp on several occasions
suggested to the Governor that it was time to leave but no the
Upon leaving the Governor told the President and Secretary of
his pleasure at attending with some ‘salt of the earth’
people and then if and when a building would be erected he should
be contacted and that he would perform any function required than.
This he just did.
Isn’t that something that today’s people should proudly
Does the industry still have the same drawing power, if not,
G.E. Day and Sons Pty Ltd were the selected builders and the
basement area was originally used for members and tenant’s
Bread industry members, flour millers and allied trades donated
all of the furniture and furnishings. The large boardroom table
was built by Hancock and Sons and entered the building via the
On a wall in the foyer of the building is a Swedish Black Onyx
stone donated personally by Mr Bernard Jand Mrs K Bakels to have
a little bit of Sweden amidst the baking fraternity they knew
so well. Mr Vernon J Baynes the CEO of Bakels Australasian Empire
delivered the stone personally.
All of the above has been carefully produced by Mr Morrie
R. Hutchinson who maybe is the last man standing from this remarkable
period of friendship, generosity and very tough competitiveness
and is written to honour aforementioned colleagues who made Bread